- 3 8-ounce bottles clam juice
- 1 pound russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon Kelchner's Sriracha Sauce (or more if preferred)
- 1/4 stick butter
- 3 slices of finely chopped bacon
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 1/4 cups chopped celery with leaves (about 2 large stalks)
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 6 6 1/2-ounce cans chopped clams, drained, juices reserved
- 1 1/4 cups half and half
Bring bottled clam juice and potatoes to boil in large saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
Melt butter in large pot over medium heat. Add bacon and cook about 8 minutes. Add onions, celery, garlic and bay leaf and sauté about 6 minutes. Stir in flour and cook 2 minutes (do not allow flour to brown). Gradually whisk in reserved juices from clams. Add potato mixture, clams, Kelchner's Sriracha Sauce and half and half. Simmer chowder 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Season to taste with salt and pepper.