Potato Latkes with Horseradish Sauces
- 5 large potatoes, peeled
- 1 small onion
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs, matzah meal or flour
- 1½ tsp coarse salt (1 tsp if using kosher salt)
- freshly ground black pepper
- Kelchner's Creamy Horseradish Sauce
- Kelchner's Horseradish
• Grate potatoes coarsely or finely, according to your preference. Finely grate the onion.• Place grated potatoes and onion in a clean kitchen towel and squeeze tightly until all of the liquid is strained.
• Place the strained potatoes and onion in a large bowl and add the eggs, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper.
• Heat the 1-inch of oil in a large pan and drop 6 to 8 spoonfuls of mixture into hot oil. Using the back of a spoon, pat down each latke to flatten it. Put as many as you can in the skillet without crowding. Putting them too close together will make them soggy.
• Fry 3 to 4 minutes on each side, until golden and crisp around the edges; repeat procedure until finished with all the batter.
• Blot excess oil with paper towels and serve warm with desired topping.
* Serve with Kelchner's Creamy Horseradish Sauce or mix Kelchner's Horseradish with sour cream and chives.
There are currently no comments for this recipe. Why not try it out and let us know how it tastes?
Write a review