Potato Latkes with Horseradish Sauces
- 5 large potatoes, peeled
- 1 small onion
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs, matzah meal or flour
- 1½ tsp coarse salt (1 tsp if using kosher salt)
- freshly ground black pepper
- Kelchner's Creamy Horseradish Sauce
- Kelchner's Horseradish
• Grate potatoes coarsely or finely, according to your preference. Finely grate the onion.• Place grated potatoes and onion in a clean kitchen towel and squeeze tightly until all of the liquid is strained.
• Place the strained potatoes and onion in a large bowl and add the eggs, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper.
• Heat the 1-inch of oil in a large pan and drop 6 to 8 spoonfuls of mixture into hot oil. Using the back of a spoon, pat down each latke to flatten it. Put as many as you can in the skillet without crowding. Putting them too close together will make them soggy.
• Fry 3 to 4 minutes on each side, until golden and crisp around the edges; repeat procedure until finished with all the batter.
• Blot excess oil with paper towels and serve warm with desired topping.
* Serve with Kelchner's Creamy Horseradish Sauce or mix Kelchner's Horseradish with sour cream and chives.