Gefilte Fish with Beet Horseradish
- 4 cups (1 liter) Fish stock (or fish bones with water)
- 2 sprigs Parsley
- ½ cup Onion (chopped)
- ½ cup Carrots (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 10 Black peppercorns
- ½ teaspoon Fennel seeds (optional)
- 2 leaves Bay leaves
- 1 slice Lemon slice
- 2 lbs (900 g) Fish fillets (ground)
- 1 cup Onion (roughly chopped)
- 2 Boiled eggs (large)
- 2 Fresh eggs (large)
- ¾ cups (100 g) Matzo meal
- 5 tablespoon (75 g) Sugar
- 1 sprig Parsley
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon Black pepper
- 2 cups Kelchner's Horseradish
- 1 cups Raw Beet (grated)
- ¼ cup (60 ml) White vinegar
- 3 tablespoon Sugar
Directions1.In a pot add the fish bones, water, and all the stock ingredients such as carrots, onions, fennel, parsley, etc.
2. Cover and simmer on medium-low for 1 hour (if using fish bones simmer ½ hour more). Once simmered, drain or remove all veggies. Discard all other vegetables but save the carrots for garnish.
3. Meanwhile, In the food processor, pulse the fish (without bones) for a minute or more to make ground fish. Remove and set aside.
4. In the same food processor, pulse onions for a minute. Then, add the parsley, boiled eggs, salt, and pepper until fine but not smooth. Set aside.
5. In a large bowl, add all the fish cake ingredients starting from ground fish, onion mixture, matzo meal, eggs, sugar, salt, and pepper.
6. Combine the mixture well but do not over mix. You want it to be soft but still be able to shape in an oval cake.
7. Take small portions of the mixture and shape it into an oval. Use a ¼ or ⅓ measuring cup to ensure all cakes are the same size. Keep the shaped fish cakes in the fridge until the stock is ready.
8. Once the fish broth is ready, reduce the heat to low so the broth is at a gentle simmer.
9. Gently place the fish cakes in one at a time. Use a spoon to move them around gently to create more space. Once all the fish cakes are in, cover with a lid. Cook the broth on a medium-low simmer for one and half hours.
10. After an hour and a half, the fish cakes will be cooked and have turned white. Use a slotted spoon to remove them to a shallow serving platter.
11. Pour some of the fish stock over the fish cakes to keep them moist. Garnish with sliced carrots (we saved from the stock above) and a parsley leaf. Place in the fridge for a few hours to chill.
12. Combine Kelchner's Horseradish and beets in a bowl. Add the vinegar, salt, and sugar. Stir.
13. Pour into a mason jar and let macerate in the fridge until ready to serve.
Serves: 20 | Prep Time: 40 minutes | Total Time: 6 hours & 10 minutes
Recipe courtesy of Veena Azmanov of veenaazmanov.com.