Historical Salmon Casserole
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 2/3 cup uncooked white rice or 2 cups penne noodles
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons more salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons Kelchner's Horseradish
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 - 1lb can salmon, flaked
- 2 whole canned pimientos, chopped
- 1 cup cooked and seasoned green peas
- ½ cup cracker crumbs
- 2 more tablespoons butter, this time melted
Directions1.Put water, rice or pasta and l teaspoon salt in 2-quart saucepan. Bring to vigorous boil, then turn heat as low as possible. Cover and leave over low heat 14 minutes.
2. While rice or pasta cooks, melt 2 tablespoons butter in saucepan. Add onion and cook until tender and yellow.
3. Stir in flour, salt and pepper. Gradually blend in milk, stirring constantly. Cook until mixture thickens.
4. Remove from heat and stir in Kelchner's Horseradish, Worcestershire sauce,·salmon, pimientos, peas and rice or pasta.
5. Pour into well oiled 2-quart casserole dish. Sprinkle cracker crumbs over top and pour melted butter over crumbs.
6. Bake in 350° oven 40 minutes.
Serves: 8 | Prep Time: 30 minutes | Total Time: 1 hour & 10 minutes
There are currently no comments for this recipe. Why not try it out and let us know how it tastes?
Write a review