Spicy Clam Chowder
- 3 8-ounce bottles clam juice
- 1 pound russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1-2 tablespoons of Kelchner's Horseradish (or more if preferred)
- 1/4 stick butter
- 3 slices of finely chopped bacon
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 1/4 cups chopped celery with leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 6 6 1/2-ounce cans chopped clams
- 1 1/4 cups half and half
In a saucepan, bring to boil the clam juice and potatoes cooking on high heat. Decrease heat to medium-low; cover and simmer potatoes until they are tender, about 10 minutes. Then remove pan from heat.
Next in a large pot melt butter on medium heat adding in the the bacon and cooking for approximately 5 minutes. Mix in onions, celery, garlic and bay leaf and sauté for another 5 minutes. Blend in flour and cook 2 minutes. Add potato mixture, clams, Kelchner's Horseradish and half and half. Simmer the chowder 5 minutes, stirring often. Season as desired with salt and pepper.